Main Entry: 1get
Pronunciation: 'get, ÷'git
Inflected Form(s): got /'gät/; got or got·ten /'gä-t&n/; get·ting
Expressions with get:
get a bead on : to gain a precise and telling knowledge or understanding of 'got a bead on his motives'
- get after : to pursue with exhortation, reprimand, or attack
- get ahead : to achieve success 'determined to get ahead in life'
- get a move on : Hurry
- get at 1 : to reach effectively 2 : to influence corruptly 3 : to turn one's attention to 4 : to try to prove or make clear 'what is he getting at'
- get away with : to avoid criticism or punishment for or the consequences of (as a reprehensible act)
- get cracking : to make a start : get going 'ought to get cracking on that assignment'
- get even : to get revenge
- get even with : to repay in kind
- get going : to make a start
- get into : to become strongly involved with or deeply interested in
- get it : to receive a scolding or punishment
- get it on 1 : to become enthusiastic, energetic, or excited 2 : to engage in sexual intercourse
- get on : to produce an unfortunate effect on :'the noise got on my nerves'
- get one's act together 1 : to put one's life, thoughts, or emotions in order : cease to be confused or misdirected 2 : to begin to function in a skillful or efficient manner 'the company finally got its act together'
- get one's goat : to make one angry or annoyed
- get over 1 a : Overcome, Surmount b : to recover from c : to reconcile oneself to : become accustomed to 2 : to move or travel across
- get somewhere : to be successful
- get there : to be successful
- get through : to reach the end of (complete)
- get to 1 a : Begin 'gets to worrying over nothing at all' b : to be ready to begin or deal with 'I'll get to the accounts as soon as I can'
- get together 1 : to bring together : Accumulate 2 : to come together : Assemble, meet. 3 : to reach agreement
- get wind of : to become aware of
- get with it : to become alert or aware : show sophisticated consciousness
Portada | Vocabulary | Idioms
| Slang | Songs | Poems | Grammar | Hollidays | Biographies
Recepies | Proverbs | Jokes | Readings | Phrasals | Quizzes | Writings | Penpals